Pages

Division

Introduction


I listened to A Course In Miracles in March.  I came to the same conclusion as the US Courts did that this book was a creation from the mind of Helen Schucman.  However, she claimed to just be the scribe and may have given credit to Jesus Christ.  It reminded me of another book that I was given but never got around to reading:  The Book Of Mormon.  

So, I listened to that in April.  It was just as difficult to listen to as A Course In Miracles.  I am surprised that these books do sell and often create their own denominations.  I would have a hard time thinking that I could come up with something better than Christ.  Especially since He predicted these splits in Matthew 10:34.

See image on blog
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

So, I chose a study that would parallel my listening material:  Division.

I received my copy of The Book Of Mormon years ago from Bernell, Rozann, Dustin, Holley, Jeremy, Jamie, and Tia.  I met this Mormon family when I was in a college campus ministry and actively trying to convert people to my religious group.  I guess a lot of famous people have received a copy:  from Abraham Lincoln to Elvis, from Sir Winston Churchill to Sergeant Alvin York, from Mark Twain to Muhammad Ali.  My response was closest to Ali who said, "I’ll read your book, if you’ll read mine."  I'm sure I invited them to visit the International Churches of Christ (ICOC) with the line, "I’ll visit yours, if you’ll visit mine."  We were all about numbers back then and 7 Mormons in my tally of visitors would have been a major coup.  I definitely would have been Disciple Of The Month for that score.  However, I don't think either one of us was successful in causing any division in our current loyalties.

I never got around to actually reading the book because it is a tough read.  I guess a lot of people who get a copy don't actually read it.  However, it looks like Mark Twain did.  And he thought it was a miracle:

All men have heard of the Mormon Bible, but few except the "elect" have seen it, or, at least, taken the trouble to read it. I brought away a copy from Salt Lake. The book is a curiosity to me, it is such a pretentious affair, and yet so "slow," so sleepy; such an insipid mess of inspiration. It is chloroform in print. If Joseph Smith composed this book, the act was a miracle — keeping awake while he did it was, at any rate.

So, waiting for the technology to come along where I could walk and listen to it at the same time was a godsend.  Well, maybe not a godsend, but it was better than falling asleep in a chair.  At least, the activity of walking kept me awake.  However, the walking was not enough to keep my mind from going numb listening to the incredibly repetitive language.  The book is clearly the invention of someone who had been born after the creation of the King James Version and before the Civil War.  The author must have had to endure some tiresome sermons from old-tyme preachers who repeated drilled into him the phrase, "And it came to pass." 

Whenever he found his speech growing too modern — which was about every sentence or two — he ladled in a few such Scriptural phrases as ‘exceeding sore,’ ‘and it came to pass,’ etc., and made things satisfactory again. ‘And it came to pass’ was his pet. If he had left that out, his Bible would have been only a pamphlet.”

― Mark Twain

Donald W. Parry, instructor in biblical Hebrew, Brigham Young University, and Gospel Doctrine teacher, Grandview Fourth Ward, Provo Utah Grandview Stake, claims The Book Of Mormon has 1,404 occurrences of the phrase "and it came to pass."  He also claims the King James Version of the Old Testament has 727 occurrences.  When I checked the Bible Gateway search feature, I only found 396 Bible results for "and it came to pass" from the King James Version.  And that includes the both the New Testament (60) and Old Testament (336).  Regardless of the number, The Book Of Mormon does sound like someone trying to mimic the "Authorized Version" without enough real content to fill in the spaces.

Not only is the language repetitive, it also has the ring of someone who was influenced by the attitudes of the antebellum south.  Rather than trying to twist some Scripture to support the way slavery was operated in the pre-Civil War Southern States, the author is a lot more blatant with his feelings:

21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.
22 And thus saith the Lord God: I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities.
23 And cursed shall be the seed of him that mixeth with their seed; for they shall be cursed even with the same cursing. And the Lord spake it, and it was done.
24 And because of their cursing which was upon them they did become an idle people, full of mischief and subtlety, and did seek in the wilderness for beasts of prey.

2 Nephi 5:21-24

However, I was surprised to hear one part that flew in the face of my preconceptions.  I had heard that Joseph Smith had multiple wives and thought that the Mormons were known for polygamy, especially in the early days as a religious group.  The Book Of Mormon doesn't seem to support that doctrine:
 
24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

Jacob 2:24

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord:  For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

Jacob 2:27

While there were some similarities between the group of which I used to be a part, the International Churches Of Christ (ICOC), and the groups mentioned in The Book Of Mormon, I seemed to notice the divisions between the groups more.  They both have a tendency to have a pharisaical focus on the mode of baptism.  The ICOC would even re-baptize converts whose toe popped out of the water because they weren't fully immersed.

18 Therefore, Alma did go forth into the water and did baptize them; yea, he did baptize them after the manner he did his brethren in the waters of Mormon; yea, and as many as he did baptize did belong to the church of God; and this because of their belief on the words of Alma.
19 And it came to pass that king Mosiah granted unto Alma that he might establish churches throughout all the land of Zarahemla; and gave him power to ordain priests and teachers over every church.

Mosiah 25:18-19

However, I was more curious about the fact that this group of Jews, who had travelled from the Mediterranean Sea to the New World, were baptizing and establishing churches around 120 B.C., long before Peter had been given the keys to the kingdom.  One of my favorite ICOC studies was the Kingdom study, which pointed out verses that prophesied the start of the Church and how they were fulfilled in Acts 2, about 33 A.D., just after the crucifixion of Christ.

I also found it strange to hear the term "Christians" used in the New World before the birth of Christ in the Old World.  The ICOC study on Discipleship highlighted the fact that the word "Christian" occurs only three times in the Bible and never in the Old Testament.  However, The Book Of Mormon has the term being used about 72 B.C., in the book of Alma.  I guess Luke had it wrong that the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch (Acts 11:26).

10 And thus he was preparing to support their liberty, their lands, their wives, and their children, and their peace, and that they might live unto the Lord their God, and that they might maintain that which was called by their enemies the cause of Christians.  

Alma 48:10

I had thought that I should do some research to see what explanation the Mormons might have for my concerns.  But then, the strangeness grew worse.  I was having a hard enough time just trying to complete my listening to the book, let alone do research on why Jesus needed another group of Twelve in the New World.  Now, God was going to have to add an addition to the city walls in heaven to get all the extra names written on them (Revelation 21:14).

18 Yea, behold, I write unto all the ends of the earth; yea, unto you, twelve tribes of Israel, who shall be judged according to your works by the twelve whom Jesus chose to be his disciples in the land of Jerusalem.
19 And I write also unto the remnant of this people, who shall also be judged by the twelve whom Jesus chose in this land; and they shall be judged by the other twelve whom Jesus chose in the land of Jerusalem.

Mormon 3:18-19

Of course, it is possible that I could hope to run into the three disciples (of the 2nd twelve) that are still alive and get the answers from them.  As far as I could tell, they should still be around and would be my best shot for any further understanding, as I certainly am not going to be listening to this book again.

17 And it was by faith that the three disciples obtained a promise that they should not taste of death; and they obtained not the promise until after their faith.

Ether 12:17

My favorite part of the audio was when I heard the words, "Audile hopes you've enjoyed this program."  Two rough books in a row was enough punishment.  I think I will stick with the Bible.

Although, it was nice to be reminded of the verse from Revelation 21:14.  I had used it for a study I emailed myself in March of 2010 about whether you could be against the Apostles.  When I say the Apostles, I am referring to the original twelve in the land of Jerusalem with the replacement of Matthias for Judas.  I didn't want you to be confused with any other groups of twelve disciples.

I always meant to get back to the study, and it seems to be close enough to the topic of division.  

So, I will include it here.

The study was influenced by my time in the ICOC and their Discipleship study.  One point was that since the word "Christian" was not prevalent in the Bible, it was better to study the word "Disciple," which occurs far more often and is equivalent to Christian.  They used this mathematical expression:

Disciple = Christian = Saved

Being a computer-science, engineering student when I was studying the Bible with them, I enjoyed having logic applied to philosophy.   The idea that logic could only be applied to a science degree was killing my spirit.  I was heading into a world of ones and zeros, black and white, questions with one answer.  I could relate to the song from the Canadian, Rock'n'Roll band, Rush, from the song Subdivisions:

Growing up, it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided

It felt like I was finally getting to use the knowledge from my Logic Design class for something profound.  I was breaking away from my little container and flying into a new realm where boundaries didn't exist.

So, I was inspired to come up with my own Mathematical Verses.

In Revelations 21:14, we see the names of the twelve apostles on the foundation walls.  This description seems to be one of the clearest indication that the apostles would be in heaven and therefore, equivalent with heaven.  In ICOC-speak, that would be the following expression:

A = Apostles = Heaven

Or, to simplify the expression:

H = A

The idea was to determine what outcome would befall someone who was either for or against the Apostles.

In Mark 9:40, we have Jesus speaking about the Apostles. He says, "for whoever is not against us is for us." He mentions two options:

x = "for us"
y = "against us" 

Since the Apostles are in heaven, being with them would put you in heaven as well.

x = "for us" = with Apostles = Heaven
H = A + x

Whereas, being against the Apostles would put you outside of heaven.

y = "against us" = oppose Apostles = not Heaven
H = (A + x) <> y

However, it did occur to me that there is a third option, which Jesus actually mentioned.  He used the phrase "not against us."  This person could be someone who hasn't taken a side yet.  Someone who was neither for nor against the Apostles.  
z = "not against us" 

What if you are neutral about the Apostles?
H = (A + x) ? z <> y ? z

In Mark 9:40, Jesus clearly equates the "not against us" as "for us."  Therefore, it does appear that you can be neutral towards the Apostles and still get into heaven.

H = ((A + x) + z) <> y 

However, while some division between you and the Apostles may be acceptable, not all division is good.  

So, I came up another equation to answer the question if you can be neutral towards Jesus.

I used John 14:2-3 to demonstrate that Jesus and heaven are equivalent, as if you needed to be persuaded on that point.

J = Jesus = Heaven
 
H = J

In Matthew 12:30, we have Jesus speaking about Himself. The wording is a little different. He says, "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters." However, the idea is the same; there are three options:

x = "with me"
y = "against me"
z = "not with me"

The for and against positions haven't changed in the Jesus equation.

x = "with me" = for Jesus = Heaven
 
H = J + x
 
y = "against me" = oppose Jesus = not Heaven
 
H = (J + x) <> y
 
However, the neutral position has changed.

H = (J + x) <> z + y

Since Jesus changed the "not with me" option to equate with "against me" when referring to Himself, the outcome of being neutral towards Jesus has moved to the wrong side of heaven.

Here are my top 12 verses on Division:

Jesus On Division


Matthew 12:30 King James Version

30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Mark 9:40 King James Version

40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

Luke 12:51-53 King James Version

51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

John 14:2-3 King James Version

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Division In The New Testament


Acts 23:6-8 King James Version

6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.
8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

Romans 16:17 King James Version

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

1 Corinthians 1:10-13 King James Version

10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Revelation 21:14 King James Version

14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Division In The Old Testament


Exodus 8:21-23 King James Version

21 Else, if thou wilt not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies upon thee, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thy houses: and the houses of the Egyptians shall be full of swarms of flies, and also the ground whereon they are.
22 And I will sever in that day the land of Goshen, in which my people dwell, that no swarms of flies shall be there; to the end thou mayest know that I am the Lord in the midst of the earth.
23 And I will put a division between my people and thy people: to morrow shall this sign be.

Joshua 18:10 King James Version

10 And Joshua cast lots for them in Shiloh before the Lord: and there Joshua divided the land unto the children of Israel according to their divisions.

Psalm 78:13 King James Version

13 He divided the sea, and caused them to pass through; and he made the waters to stand as an heap.

Isaiah 53:12 King James Version

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Conclusion Of The Whole Matter


Not all division is bad.  Certainly, God used division to make a distinction between Israel and Egypt.  However, more often the OT uses division to organize things, much like the NFL splits its teams into different divisions.  Joshua split the Promised Land among the different tribes of Israel.  And, God even uses division for good.  He parted the waters to save his people from Pharaoh's army.  But more importantly, He will divide his Kingdom with his servants as a reward for their sacrifice, first and foremost to Jesus, as we see in Isaiah 53.

The New Testament tends to emphasize the negative side of division.  The authors point out the problems that arise from a lack of unity, especially since it was a teaching of Christ that the disciples all be one.  However, while they may have intended to be unified, the practice was not successful.

Jesus clearly saw the Apostles' shortcomings and promised division.  However, the one area where He would not tolerate division was in regards to being divided with Him.

22 Bible results for “division” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (14)
  • New Testament (8)
122 Bible results for “divide” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (101)
  • New Testament (21)
3 results for “division” from previous Solomon's Colonnade studies.

Scripture contributions for April 2022 by: Paul Anderson, Matthew Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment