Pages

Instruments

Introduction

By Paul Anderson


Not only do I have a mission to spend a night in all 50 states (and do it in less than 66 years, 7 months, 22 days), I have a mission to see 50 Artists In Concert.  It started from a facebook post many years ago that challenge me to list my top 50 concerts.  

Well, I failed.  

The main reason I failed was not due to a lack of memory but rather a lack of experience.  I hadn't seen 50 concerts.  Right then, I made my goal to correct this oversite.  On June 19th, my son and I got to see #46 - ZZ Top.  It was pretty impressive to hear what they could do with just three instruments.

See image on blog
Billy Gibbons (guitar), Frank Beard (drums), & Elwood Francis (bass) of ZZ Top


See image on blog
Matthew & Paul get box seats at the Pikes Peak Center

I always wished I could play an instrument.  I gave it a shot a couple of times.  

In third grade, I joined the marching band.  When the band director had me select my instrument, he didn't like my choice.  I wanted to try the trombone.  However, he needed more bass and recommended I become the only baritone.

It was a bad choice.  Being a small kid with asthma, I didn't have the lung capacity to make a good sound.  Also, as it is a large and expensive instrument, the school wouldn't let me take it home to practice.  I had to learn to play on just the mouthpiece alone.  The only song I can remember learning was Soul Rock, as it only required me to play one note the entire song.

I put in my time for one season and marched in the parade just meekly playing one note in random places.  Afterwards, the band and I agreed to part ways.

The next attempt was to play the guitar.  No lungs needed and much easier to carry.

This time my mom didn't like my choice.  She recommended I learn the piano first.  My sister had received the same offer and had done well enough on piano to earn her guitar lessons.  I learned a couple more notes and can still play Yankee Doodle with one finger, but I didn't have enough motivation to graduate to the guitar.

Even though I never learned how to play the guitar, I still enjoy listening to it more than any other instrument.  Most of my collection of digital music is guitar-oriented.  I don't have a wide range of musical taste and at least 83% of my songs are from genres that focus on the guitar.

GenreArtistsSongs
Metal25420
Classic Rock29334
Hard Rock43285
Oldies49126
Country43113
Southern Rock887
Pop5369
Gospel2939
Comedy2127
Grand Total2831500

I think it was from the Ken Burns' documentary, Country Music, that I heard that the birth of Country was when a German immigrant, Christian Frederick Martin Sr., made the first guitar in the United States in the 1830s.  While he didn't actually invent the instrument, he did improve it with metal strings to make the guitar loud enough to be heard in public concerts.  With the combination of an instrument that could be easily carried from show to show and heard well over the din of the crowd, Country took off.

I also hold to the opinion that the birth of Rock 'N' Roll occurred when the first mass-produced solid-body guitar was created, the Fender Broadcaster, in 1948, five years after Les Paul made his prototype.  The crisp, clean, electric sound was perfect for a louder, more aggressive type of music that would create the greatest change in music since Jubal invented the first stringed-instrument.

While the word "guitar" does not appear in the Bible, it could have been around.  There are a number of stringed-instruments that are mentioned.  They range from three strings (1 Samuel 18:6) to ten strings (Psalms 33:2;92:3;144:9;150:4).  Certainly, a six-stringed, wooden instrument could have been invented and might have been the precursor to the modern guitar.

So, it just makes me wonder:  WWJP  (What Would Jesus Play?)

Here are my top 12 verses on Instruments:

Jesus On Instruments


Matthew 6:2 King James Version

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Matthew 24:31 King James Version

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Luke 7:32 King James Version

32 They are like unto children sitting in the marketplace, and calling one to another, and saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned to you, and ye have not wept.

Luke 15:25-27 King James Version

25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.
26 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.
27 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.

Instruments In The New Testament


Matthew 9:23 King James Version

23 And when Jesus came into the ruler's house, and saw the minstrels and the people making a noise

1 Corinthians 14:7 King James Version

7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

Ephesians 5:19-20 King James Version

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Revelation 15:2-3 King James Version

2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.
3 And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.

Instruments In The Old Testament


Genesis 4:21 King James Version

21 And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

1 Samuel 16:23 King James Version

23 And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.

Psalm 92:1-3 King James Version

1 It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High:
2 To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night,
3 Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound.

Amos 6:4-7 King James Version

4 That lie upon beds of ivory, and stretch themselves upon their couches, and eat the lambs out of the flock, and the calves out of the midst of the stall;
5 That chant to the sound of the viol, and invent to themselves instruments of musick, like David;
6 That drink wine in bowls, and anoint themselves with the chief ointments: but they are not grieved for the affliction of Joseph.
7 Therefore now shall they go captive with the first that go captive, and the banquet of them that stretched themselves shall be removed.

Conclusion Of The Whole Matter


Most of the specific references to instruments are from the Old Testament.  However, several are mentioned in the New Testament.

So, which one is God's favorite musical instrument?

Just by a verse count, the trumpet comes in at number one.  

However, maybe the trumpet isn't God's first choice.  Perhaps it was just a necessary tool He was forced to play.  His real passion could just be some kind of stringed-instrument.  After all, wasn't David a man after God's own heart who played the harp?

How about the Devil?  WWSP (What Would Satan Play?)

Clearly, the Devil would play the fiddle.

"I guess you didn't know it but I'm a fiddle player too
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you
Now you play a pretty good fiddle, boy
But give the devil his due
I'll bet a fiddle of gold against your soul
'Cause I think I'm better than you"

The Devil, Down In Georgia

During my time in the International Churches of Christ (ICOC), I learned about the debate in the parent group, the Churches of Christ, about whether instrumental music was allowed in worship.  Early on, the ICOC just had acapella singing.  It was very enjoyable to hear and served its purpose.  We even clapped along to some of the more upbeat songs.  After inviting my Grandparents to the group, my Grandfather only referred to the group as the "clappin' church."

However, the issue was so divisive that the Churches of Christ split into two factions.

One side argued that since there were no examples of instrumental music in worship, it was not authorized in the New Testament and would be like offering strange fire.

The other side argued that since it was not specifically prohibited in the New Testament, it was allowable.

I agreed with the other side.  Clearly, the New Testament has examples of musical instruments from Jesus including them in his parables, to Paul including them in his teachings, to actual instruments played at a funeral.  It seems to me that the lack of instruments in the New Testament stems from the expense of the items rather than any idea the Christians had about the items being prohibited.

However, the verse that sealed the deal for me is John's reference to the reward for overcoming the beast is having the harps of God.  I just hope my harp has six strings and sounds like The Frankenstrat, also known as "Frankie" (a guitar created by Eddie Van Halen).


53 Bible results for “instrument” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (52)
  • New Testament (1)

45 Bible results for “instruments” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (44)
  • New Testament (1)

104 Bible results for “TRUMPET” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (92)
  • New Testament (12)

50 Bible results for “HARP” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (45)
  • New Testament (5)

16 Bible results for “CYMBAL” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (15)
  • New Testament (1)

13 Bible results for “PSALTERY” from King James Version.

12 Bible results for “PIPE” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (8)
  • New Testament (4)

9 Bible results for “CORNET” from King James Version.

9 Bible results for “TIMBREL” from King James Version.

4 Bible results for “FLUTE” from King James Version.

4 Bible results for “ORGAN” from King James Version.

4 Bible results for “SACKBUT” from King James Version.

4 Bible results for “VIOL” from King James Version.

3 Bible results for “DULCIMER” from King James Version.

2 results for “instruments” from previous Solomon's Colonnade studies.

Hill of Ares - Acts 17:18-19

By Matthew Anderson


The stoics are strangely silent on instruments.  Benjamin Franklin thought Silence was a virtue, so that’s something.

Scripture contributions for June 2022 by: Paul Anderson, Matthew Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment