Pages

Equipment

Introduction

By Paul Anderson


One of the reasons for the success of my weight loss (-120 pounds) this time rather than the failures of the past was from having the right equipment.  In the past (2005-2011), I had a plastic pedometer, that looked like a pager and clipped to your belt.  This time (2017-2022), I had a Fitbit activity tracker, which can be worn on the wrist up to 24 hours a day.  In the past, I went on the "Rice Diet," which could explain why I don't eat rice to this day.  This time, I went on the app "CRONOMETER," and logged everything I ate.  This time, it worked.

With the inferior equipment, I logged less steps in 7 years than I did in just my first year with the better equipment:

Year         Steps

2022 2,868,582
2021 3,588,419
2020 3,377,291
2019 3,300,285
2018 3,077,847
2017 2,257,506

2011 147,884
2010 345,572
2009 272,909
2008 336,477
2007 380,312
2006 490,277
2005 229,238

I guess this is what technology is all about:  Giving me better equipment.

Of course, Solomon says, "there is no new thing under the sun."  We have always had ways to track our steps.  If I hadn't been so lazy, I could have been counting my own steps without either device.  And if I had been closer to God, I could have just gotten that information from Him.

Doth not he see my ways, and count all my steps?

Job 31:4 King James Version

However, I had to overcome my sloth and gluttony first to get closer to God anyway.  So, having a tool that would do the work of counting my steps for me was enough motivation for me to get off my butt and start to slay that demon of sloth.

So, I am not one to reject any technology that will help me get to my goals.  I know there are some who think that using modern equipment is a sin in itself, but then I wonder at what point do you draw that line.  Sure, Pharaoh used the modern chariot of his time to chase down Moses in the desert of Sinai while Moses relied to God to deliver him.  However, later, Solomon, in his wisdom, collected 1,400 chariots for his army (1 Kings 10:26).

I was travelling to South Bend to see my cousin playing safety for the University of California at Berkley's football team (Go Bears!) against the fighting Irish of Notre Dame.  We stayed the night before the game in Goshen, Indiana, which seems to be one of the bigger cities around a community of Amish farms.  I found it amusing to see the hitching posts and horse-drawn carriages outside the hardware store.  I stopped to talk to a family to see if they would let me take a picture.  They wouldn't let me take a picture of them, but they allowed me to get a picture of the vehicle.  I guess the horse had different values than the family.

It reminded of my trip to see my cousin playing safety for the University of California at Berkley's football team (Go Bears!) against the Washington Huskies.  We stayed in Post Falls, Idaho.  It was there that I thought I saw the oldest vehicle technology, a 1919 Packard owned by Milton Hershey.  It turns out that was just the Fitbit to the pedometer of Indiana.

Having flown on an airplane to see both vehicles (and football games), I realize that I am more like Solomon than Moses in that I will take advantage of the modern technology.


See image on blog
Old Equipment - Indiana

See image on blog
New Equipment - Idaho

So, I thought I would see what the Bible says about having the right equipment.

Here are my top 12 verses on Equipment:

Jesus On Equipment


Matthew 16:24 King James Version

24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 6:8-9 King James Version

8 And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:
9 But be shod with sandals; and not put on two coats.

Luke 9:62 King James Version

62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

John 15:22 King James Version

22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.

Equipment In The New Testament


Matthew 3:10-12 King James Version

10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Ephesians 6:11 King James Version

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Hebrews 9:4 King James Version

4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;

1 Peter 3:20-21 King James Version

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Equipment In The Old Testament


Genesis 27:3-4 King James Version

3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
4 And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.

1 Samuel 17:38-40 King James Version

38 And Saul armed David with his armour, and he put an helmet of brass upon his head; also he armed him with a coat of mail.
39 And David girded his sword upon his armour, and he assayed to go; for he had not proved it. And David said unto Saul, I cannot go with these; for I have not proved them. And David put them off him.
40 And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine.

Proverbs 27:17 King James Version

17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Zechariah 11:15 King James Version

15 And the Lord said unto me, Take unto thee yet the instruments of a foolish shepherd.

Conclusion Of The Whole Matter


Equipment must be a fairly modern word as it does not appear in the King James Version.  However, I did find it in some more current translations that show the idea was included under some synonyms like "instruments" and "weapons."  Most of the occurrences dealt with the tools use in worship from the tabernacle and temple, but also a number of references had to do with military implements.  One of my favorite verses is where David rejects the modern weapons or more superior technology to fight Goliath.

I also ran across some uses of hand tools in the bible like the plough, axe, or pitch fork (fan).  There is advice about keeping these items sharp for effective use.  This made me think about what is the most important equipment mentioned in the Bible.  For the Old Testament, I picked a verse to highlight Noah's Ark, and in the New Testament, I went with a verse on the cross.

0 Bible results for “equipment” from King James Version.

8 Bible results for “equipment” from New American Standard Bible 1995.

11 Bible results for “equipment” from New International Version.

1 result for “equipment” from previous Solomon's Colonnade studies.

Hill of Ares - Acts 17:18-19


Jesus seems to be a bit of a Stoic in regards to equipment.  The main tools He uses or recommends is clothing and even then He doesn't allow any extras; nothing for under the seat and nothing in the over-head bin.  Well, except maybe a staff.


Scripture contributions for September 2022 by: Paul Anderson, Matthew Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment