Pages

Mountain

Introduction

By Paul Anderson


Since Dystopian did not turn out to be the quick study for which I had hoped, I will try to pick an easier topic for August.  Speaking of hope deferred, I was going to climb the Manitou Incline in August.  However, it did not work out due to a lack of planning.

Instead, a Colorado Springs Chess Club's fellow officer, Mark McGough, and I did a hike in Red Rock Canyon Open Space.  This park is just south of the Garden of the Gods and has similar rock formations, just smaller and less impressive.  However, I had not visited the park since moving to Colorado Springs in 1989.  So, it was nice to finally see it.

See Red Rock image on blog
August 11, 2023.  Photo by Paul Anderson

The hike ended up being a little over five miles in 2.5 hours, which is more than I usually do all day!  My Fitbit doesn't track elevation, but we tried to hike up to the highest point (around the 3 mile mark) before heading back to the cars.  Fortunately, my Fitbit was able to track all the miles and make this map before it ran out of battery power.  I guess the GPS tracker takes a lot more battery power than I typically use.

See Red Rock Canyon image on blog

While Mark and I were nervous about the strict parking rules and required reservations for the Manitou Incline that have been implemented after its closure during the pandemic, we are hopeful to return someday and conquer that hike without suffering fines and imprisonment.  If the Incline goes well, perhaps I will move on to the real Colorado experience:  hiking a mountain peak over 14,000 feet in elevation!

A mountain peak that rises above 14,000 feet is called a "14er."  There are fifty-eight "14ers" in Colorado.  Since I already have goals to spend a night in all 50 states and see 50 artists in concert, I might as well try to climb 50 peaks as well.  Who is with me?

RankMountain
1Handies Peak
2Grays Peak
3Torreys Peak
4Quandary Peak
5Mt. Elbert
6Mt. Sherman
7San Luis Peak
8Pikes Peak
9Mt. Bross
10Mt. Cameron
11Mt. Lincoln
12Mt. Bierstadt
13Mt. Democrat
14Huron Peak
15Culebra Peak
16Mt. Princeton
17Redcloud Peak
18Mt. Evans
19Mt. Belford
20Uncompahgre Peak
21Mt. Shavano
22Humboldt Peak
23Mt. Columbia
24Mt. Yale
25La Plata Peak
26Sunshine Peak
27Missouri Mountain
28Mt. Massive
29Mt. Oxford
30Tabeguache Peak
31Mt. Antero
32Mt. Harvard
33Mt. of the Holy Cross
34Windom Peak
35Conundrum Peak
36Castle Peak
37Ellingwood Point
38Challenger Point
39Blanca Peak
40Mt. Sneffels
41Mt. Lindsey
42Kit Carson Peak
43North Eolus
44Wetterhorn Peak
45Mt. Eolus
46Longs Peak
47Wilson Peak
48El Diente Peak
49Crestone Peak
50Maroon Peak
51Snowmass Mountain
52North Maroon Peak
53Crestone Needle
54Sunlight Peak
55Pyramid Peak
56Mt. Wilson
57Little Bear Peak
58Capitol Peak

So, I thought I should do some research on tackling these mountains.

In August, I read a book called The Mountain Is You by Brianna Wiest.  It didn't help.  It was not about mountains, and the mountain metaphor was so limited that a better title would have been "The Obstacle Is You."  However, that title would point readers to a much better book The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday, who she quotes as saying her stuff better.

"Ryan Holiday says it best: "This moment is not my life. It is a moment in my life.""

"As writer and media strategist Ryan Holiday has noted, epiphanies are not life-altering. It’s not radical moments of action that give us long-lasting, permeating change—it’s the restructuring of our habits."

Brianna Wiest's book is 5 hours and 44 minutes of Stuart Smalley, "You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you."  She seems to speak out of both sides of her mouth, like when she says we are designed to evolve.  I am not sure if she believes in a Designer who wants us to change or if she believes in Evolution that forces humans to change.  But she doesn't change some of her arguments, I think she used the gut is connected to the brain speech three times verbatim.  She seems to have a target audience of people who wear pajamas at Walmart.  And, we do see them and think less of them.

This book just seemed to mock me because I am trying to understand this gobbledygook while I am cleaning the gutter.  And, I am getting nowhere with either.  Am I the reassured current self or the younger self that wants things to get better?  Whichever self I am now, neither is able to unclog the gutter! 🤬

With the benefit of being months or years removed from that experience, your current self can reassure your younger self that things will get better.  In fact, some good things will come from the experience in the form of new insights, opportunities, and relationships.  This reassurance allows your younger self to fully accept what they're experiencing and let it pass through them like rainwater flowing through a duct.

So, I am going to get away from this book and study the Bible.  It is something that makes more sense to me.

Here are my top 12 verses on Mountain:

Jesus On Mountain


Matthew 4:8 King James Version

8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

Mark 9:2 King James Version

2 And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

Luke 6:12-13 King James Version

12 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
13 And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;

John 4:20-24 King James Version

20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Mountain In The New Testament


Luke 3:1-6 King James Version

1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene,
2 Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.
3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;
4 As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;
6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

1 Corinthians 13:2 King James Version

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Hebrews 12:18-24 King James Version

18 For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,
19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:
20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Revelation 21:10 King James Version

10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God...

Mountain In The Old Testament


Deuteronomy 4:10-13 King James Version

10 Specially the day that thou stoodest before the Lord thy God in Horeb, when the Lord said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children.
11 And ye came near and stood under the mountain; and the mountain burned with fire unto the midst of heaven, with darkness, clouds, and thick darkness.
12 And the Lord spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard the voice of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice.
13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

2 Kings 6:15-17 King James Version

15 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?
16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
17 And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Song of Solomon 4:6-8 King James Version

6 Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, I will get me to the mountain of myrrh, and to the hill of frankincense.
7 Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee.
8 Come with me from Lebanon, my spouse, with me from Lebanon: look from the top of Amana, from the top of Shenir and Hermon, from the lions' dens, from the mountains of the leopards.

Isaiah 2:1-4 King James Version

1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Conclusion Of The Whole Matter


The word "mountain" is all over the Bible, occurring close to 300 times.  And even more if you add in a search for the word "mount."  The Old Testament has about six times as many verses as the New Testament.  However, I was able to use my favorite formula of pulling 4 verses from the main areas of the Old Testament (Torah, History, Prophets, and Wisdom), 4 from the Gospels, and 4 from the New Testament writers.

It was nice to see mountains use so often by God.  From the giving of the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai to the coming of the Kingdom at Mount Zion, the Old Testament places many significant events in the mountains.  Jesus continues that pattern when He is tempted by the Devil, names the apostles, is transfigured, and teaches his disciples.  And these aren't just your regular, old mountains.  These are great and high mountains.  I guess the mountain is not an obstacle to overcome, but rather a place to go to for inspiration.  

What to do I find it hard to know
Lord, the walk is not the one I chose
Lift me up and turn me over
Lead me on into the dawn
Take me to the highest mountain
Tie me up, love in a storm
Have you decided on my fortune?
Facing the future in your eyes
With your imperial behavior
We fight amidst the battle cries
Open doors
They may be closed to me
The fire's still burning in my heart
What to do I find it hard to know
I want to turn my life around

- Lift Me Up by Yes

And, yes, I finally did achieve a breakthrough.

See gutter image on blog
Breakthrough! Finally got the snake 🐍 through the downspout.

294 Bible results for “mountain” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (253)
    • Genesis (9)
    • Exodus (6)
    • Numbers (6)
    • Deuteronomy (15)
    • Joshua (16)
    • Judges (10)
    • 1 Samuel (4)
    • 2 Samuel (1)
    • 1 Kings (2)
    • 2 Kings (3)
    • 1 Chronicles (1)
    • 2 Chronicles (6)
    • Job (6)
    • Psalm (24)
    • Proverbs (2)
    • Song of Solomon (5)
    • Isaiah (41)
    • Jeremiah (16)
    • Lamentations (2)
    • Ezekiel (38)
    • Daniel (5)
    • Hosea (2)
    • Joel (5)
    • Amos (5)
    • Obadiah (1)
    • Jonah (1)
    • Micah (7)
    • Nahum (3)
    • Habakkuk (2)
    • Zephaniah (1)
    • Haggai (2)
    • Zechariah (5)
    • Malachi (1)
  • New Testament (41)
    • Matthew (12)
    • Mark (8)
    • Luke (7)
    • John (4)
    • 1 Corinthians (1)
    • Hebrews (2)
    • Revelation (7)


Scripture contributions for August 2023 by: Paul Anderson, Matthew Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment