Pages

Power

Introduction


This month my son is having me read the "48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene since he mentions the Bible in the book.  So far, I have I read about the first five laws, which include laws like Never Outshine The Master and Always Say Less Than Necessary.  With that in mind, I will hold my tongue and let the Master speak for himself.

See image on blog
Power finds a way to those who take a stand - Triumph

Ok, I will just add one more thought before I share the verses:  I think Moses did a better job saying less than necessary with his 10 Commandments than Robert did with his 48 Laws.

Here are my top 12 verses on Power:

Jesus On Power


Matthew 22:29 King James Version

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Mark 2:10 King James Version

10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

Luke 12:5 King James Version

5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

John 19:11 King James Version

11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Power In The New Testament


Acts 1:8 King James Version

8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

1 Corinthians 2:5 King James Version

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Hebrews 4:12 King James Version

12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Revelation 6:4 King James Version

4 And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.

Power In The Old Testament


Exodus 9:16 King James Version

16 And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to shew in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.

2 Kings 17:36 King James Version

36 But the Lord, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.

Ecclesiastes 8:8 King James Version

8 There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it.

Jeremiah 32:17 King James Version

17 Ah Lord God! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:

Conclusion Of The Whole Matter


Power is one of those topics that occur everywhere in the Bible.  I chose verses from the 4 major sections of the Old Testament:  Torah, History, Wisdom, and Prophecy.  I chose verses from each of the Gospels:  Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  I picked 4 books from the New Testament:  Acts, 1 Corinthians, Hebrews, and Revelation.  

One of the ideas that struck me was that there are 2 key times when power is mentioned in the Bible:  the Exodus and the End Times.  A common theme with these events is God's power to destroy slavery.  First, God uses the plagues of Egypt to free the nation of Israel from Pharaoh.  Then, God uses the plagues of Revelation to free his kingdom from Satan.

A symbol of power is the sword.  Revelation uses this imagery often.  Paul even compares the power of the Word Of God to a sword.  

I enjoyed this metaphor and even used it to make the CD cover art for my son when we were collecting songs about Hope.  However, the sword seemed even more appropriate for the Power topic.  So, I have added the image to this month's blog.  It has become the unofficial logo for Solomon's Colonnade.


275 Bible results for “power” from King James Version.
  • Old Testament (119)
  • New Testament (156)
Top 3 New Testament Books with Bible results for “power” from King James Version.
  • Revelation (30)
  • 1 Corinthians (19)
  • Luke (19)
Top 3 Old Testament Books with Bible results for “power” from King James Version.
  • Psalm (23)
  • Daniel (12)
  • Job (11)

72 results for “power” from previous Solomon's Colonnade studies.

Scripture contributions for October 2021 by: Paul Anderson, Matthew Anderson